As a principal, Larry Smith directs Avant Architect’s approach to project design. Larry has developed a reputation for tailoring the design process to each individual client and design challenge. Larry’s design capabilities include programming, master planning, design, construction documents, and administration. His experience includes a wide range of project types including retail, office, multi-family housing, education, research and medical facilities. He is skilled at identifying the essence of clients’ issues, offering a range of possible solutions and expanding the client’s as well as the design teams aspirations for the project.
Curiosity, common sense and a holistic design approach are central to design excellence. Meeting the clients functional needs cost effectively with a strong positive aesthetic result creates places and spaces that make a difference.
Connections and Education:
- Registered Architect: Nebraska, Iowa, South Dakota, Kansas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Oklahoma, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Wyoming, North Dakota, Missouri, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, North Carolina
- Member, American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Member, American Institute of Architects Committee on Design
- Past-President, AIA Nebraska Board of Directors (2009)
- President, AIA Nebraska Board of Directors (2008)
- President-Elect, AIA Nebraska Board of Directors (2007)
- Secretary, AIA Nebraska Board of Directors (2006)
- Treasurer, AIA Nebraska Board of Directors (2005)
- Director, AIA Nebraska Board of Directors (2004)
- Bachelor of Arts, Architecture, Iowa State University (1979)
“Art is the replacing of indifference with attention.” -Guy Davenport
I create art. Each one happens to be a building where someone lives or works or plays or heals. We cannot afford to be indifferent. We owe it to the building users to pay attention.
- Crossroads Village Development; Omaha, NE
- The Triangle Residences; Omaha, NE
- The Lodge at Northbrook; Northbrook, IL
- Nebraska Crossing Outlets; Gretna, NE
- Providence Medical Center; Wayne, NE